Homework Assignment #1
1. Prepare a 2 – 3 page specification/statement of work for one of the following scenarios:
(1) You work for an air conditioning manufacturer who specializes in large scale cooling systems for sports arenas, theaters, etc. Due to the high demand for customized cooling systems, your engineering department has been unable to keep up with maintaining modified drawings for most of the company’s projects. Handwritten notes appear on copies of the company’s standard design drawings. For future reference, a set of customized drawings incorporating these notes would be better to document each installation’s configuration.
The answer is outsourcing. You’ve been tasked to develop a statement of work/specification for a company to follow in producing an updated set of drawings. This statement of work/specification will be used for suppliers to develop bids and eventually form the basis of a contract.
(2) You manage the Natural History Museum downtown. Currently you retain a landscaping staff to trim lawns, trees, bushes, etc. In light of budget cutbacks, you’ve decided to outsource the landscaping work. Develop a specification/statement of work for landscaping contractors to use in developing bids and eventually form the basis of a contract.
(3) If currently working, you may develop a specification/statement of work for an activity that may present an outsourcing/buy opportunity for your current employer.
2. In developing these specifications/statements of work, please make use of the following reference materials (all posted on the Titanium site):
- The draft Statement of Works posted on Titanium. You assignment should follow a similar organizational format to this requirements document.
- Other specifications, available through hyperlinks on Titanium
3. As this document will be part of a contract, the document should conform to the “Strict American Rule” in drafting. This means that words giving supplier direction in a requirements document have denote different levels of commitment. For example, use of the word “shall” means that a supplier has no choice but to perform a task. On the other hand, the word “may” is much more discretionary.
The following meanings apply to words used in your assignment:
shall = has a duty to
must = is required to [never used to mean future tense]
may = has discretion to; is permitted to
shall not = has a duty not to
may not = is not permitted to; is disallowed from
is entitled to = has a right to
will = expresses something that will occur in the future
4. The assignment is due in two weeks – Tuesday, September 23.
5. Final comment: Remember that a specification/statement of work serves several purposes. Its importance begins as a basis for suppliers to prepare an estimate of their costs to perform the work. It later becomes part of the contract. Clarity is therefore critical.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS