Assignment 3 – Write readME-style metadata
Due 15 Mar
PAPER: AS MU CH S PA CE A S I T T AKE S
This assignment has two parts:
1) Write a readME-style metadata for your data. Not all of your data (that could be a lot of
files!), just the top level/main folder. The metadata should be as comprehensive as
necessary for someone unfamiliar with your project and methods to understand and use
your data. As to format, it should follow the requirements and recommendations covered
in readings, activities, and class.
2) Provide explanation/justification for your decisions. Because you will be describing an
unique dataset, you will be making unique decisions about it. This is an opportunity for
you to help me understand why you’ve made those decisions. Use references from class
readings or elsewhere to support your decisions.
3) I will also need some way to look at the data you are writing a readMe for.
I strongly recommend the following resources to you (this means I will use it as a grading
- Cornell guide to writing readMe style metadata:
https://data.research.cornell.edu/content/readme (there is a template!!!)
I mildly recommend the following (I won’t use it as a grading reference, but it will be useful in
helping you think about things. DON’T follow this format, but the information is good.):
- Gebru, T., Morgenstern, J., Vecchione, B., Vaughan, J. W., Wallach, H., Daumé III, H., &
Crawford, K. (2020). Datasheets for Datasets. ArXiv:1803.09010 [Cs].
- After looking at a lot of readMe files, there aren’t any I want to give you as an example,
really. For the most part, they are lacking some significantly important section.
o E.g., ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/release2/ or ftp://mit.ecco-
group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/release2/interp_monthly/ They aren’t bad, they
just aren’t complete…
- Follow the template I linked above. Contact me with any questions.
1) readME file: Follow the format recommendations covered in readings, activities, and
class. (no pdf, no docx, etc.)
2) Explanation/justification for your decisions: This paper is to be double-spaced, in a 12-
point font (Times New Roman) with 1-inch margins, using APA format for all citations,
in Microsoft Word format
3) Submit electronically through Canvas by 11:55pm EXT of the due date.
Your grade will be a combination of the readMe file and the explanation that you provide for the
decisions you made. What I will be looking for:
- Completeness of the readMe documentation, “The metadata should be as comprehensive
as necessary for someone unfamiliar with your project and methods to understand and
use your data.”
- Follow the readMe template given. Give explanations for departing from, expanding on,
or ignoring parts of the template.
- Your explanation should cite some references for supporting your decisions.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS