Student Number: (enter on the line below)
Student Name: (enter on the line below)
Strategic Information Systems for Business and Enterprise
Trimester T2, 2021
Assessment Weight: 50 total marks
- All questions must be answered by using the answer boxes provided in this paper.
- Completed answers must be submitted to Blackboard by the published due date and time.
Submission instructions are at the end of this paper.
This assessment consists of six (6) questions and is designed to assess your level of knowledge of the key topics covered in this unit
Adapted Harvard Referencing
Holmes has now implemented a revised Harvard approach to referencing:
- Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources which provide full text access to the source’s content for lecturers and markers.
- The Reference list should be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled: References.
- It should include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged alphabetically A-Z by author surname. In addition, it MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
P Hawking, B McCarthy, A Stein (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
- All assignments will require additional in-text reference details which will consist of the surname of the author/authors or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page number of content, paragraph where the content can be found.
“The company decided to implement an enterprise wide data warehouse business intelligence strategies (Hawking et al, 2004, p3(4)).”
Non – Adherence to Referencing Guidelines
Where students do not follow the above guidelines:
- Students who submit assignments which do not comply with the guidelines may be required to resubmit their assignments or incur penalties for inadequate referencing.
- Late penalties will apply per day after a student or group has been notified of a resubmission requirements.
- Students whose citations are identified as fictitious will be reported for academic misconduct.
Note. References are not mandatory for this assessment. However, please follow the Adaptive Harvard Referencing guidelines if you use any reference(s) to explain any concept or theory.
Question 1 (11 marks)
The role of internal audit is to provide independent assurance that an organisation’s risk management, governance and internal control processes are operating effectively. ABCD Limited is concerned about its Internal Audit (IA) function. Recently, ABCD Limited is expanding and reorganizing its Internal Audit (IA) function. Currently the Director of Internal Audit, Shuja Mehboob, reports to the corporate controller, who receives and reviews all internal audit reports. Mehboob forwards copies of the internal audit reports to the audit committee of the board of directors and to the manager directly responsible for the function being audited.
An issue of contention among the management team pertains to which department or function the Director of Internal Audits should report. Martin Stevens the CEO wants to ensure that ABCD Limited complies with the SOX and that the internal audit department is structured such that it strengthens the company’s internal control system. Also, an overarching objective for the reorganized audit function is that the external auditors are able to rely on the work performed by the internal audit department to a substantial degree. Arguments put forth by interested parties as to where the IA department should be organizationally located are presented below:
Chief Operations Officer (COO). Robert, the COO of ABCD Limited, believes that the Director of IA should report to him. Under this arrangement the IA staff members would be involved in the preparation of policy statements on internal control regarding safeguarding of assets and in the design of business processes.
Chief Information Officer (CIO). Marry, the CIO, has pushed hard to have the IA function report to him and take on an active role in the design, installation, and initial operation of a new computerized systems. IA staff will be primarily concerned with the design and implementation of internal accounting controls and conduct the evaluation of these controls during the test runs and audits.
Corporate Controller. The controller Bailey Eder, believes the IA group should remain within her functional area. Currently the IA staff performs a number of controller related tasks. These include:
Required: We have discussed internal audit independence during our interactive tutorials. Your answer should be based on our discussion. Please answer the following questions.
ANSWER: ** Answer box will enlarge as you type
Question 2 (11 marks)
Richard has been a highly regarded employee of the Brier Corporation for almost 20 years. Her loyalty to the company is reflected in her dedication to her job as general accounting clerk from which she has not taken a vacation in almost 12 years. Because of her dedication and long tenure, she has acquired many related responsibilities, which has allowed the Brier Corp to reduce its work force through attrition, control salary expenses and become more efficient and competitive. The following describes Richard’s responsibilities.
Richard receives copies of credit sales orders from the sales department. From these documents she accesses the AR subsidiary ledger from her office computer and records the AR. She then records the sale in the sales journal and posts the transactions to the general ledger accounts. Cash receipts in payment of customer AR come directly to her office. She records the cash receipts in the GL cash and AR accounts and updates the AR subsidiary ledger. She then endorses the checks “for deposit only” and deposits them in the bank at the end of each day.
- Identify any control problems in the procedures described above. [3 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 200 words]
- Based on the control problems identified above, what sorts of fraud are possible in this system? [4 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 200 words]
- What controls are needed to reduce the risk of fraud? [4 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 200 words]
Question 3 (7 marks)
Paul Williams recently joined XYZ2 Limited as the head of accounting department. Williams spent the first few weeks to analyse the account information system. Based on this analysis, Williams is concerned about the purchase system of XYZ2 Limited. Here is the details of purchase system.
The purchasing agent of XYZ2 Limited periodically checks inventory levels from a computer terminal, which is connected to a central accounting system. The agent searches the inventory file for items that need to be ordered. He then selects a supplier, prints a hard copy of the purchase order, and mails it to the vendor. The clerk files one copy of the PO in the department and sends a second copy to the AP Clerk. When the inventories arrive at the receiving department, a receiving clerk reconciles the items with the packing slip, inspects them for condition, and manually prepares a three-part receiving report. The clerk sends one copy to the purchasing department to close out the open PO, files one copy along with the packing slip in the receiving department, and sends one copy with the inventory to the warehouse.
In the purchase system, account payable clerk performs some key roles. When the accounts payable clerk receives a hardcopy invoice from the vendor, she reconciles the invoice with the purchase order, records the liability in the AP Subsidiary Ledger from the terminal in her office, and assigns a due date for payment. The warehouse clerk receives the inventory, reconciles it with the receiving report, and updates the inventory subsidiary ledger from a terminal in the warehouse.
Required: Describe the uncontrolled risks in the system of XYZ2 Limited. Against each identified risk, describe the physical controls needed to reduce the risks. [7 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 600 words]
Question 4 (7 marks)
Part (a). During the week 10 and 11, we have discussed different feasibility studies, including technical, economic, legal, operational and schedules feasibility. Based on this discussion, elaborate cost-benefit analysis as it is performed in the economic feasibility. [4 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 200 words]
Part (b). The system experts perform the design and implementation phases of the system development life cycle. However, the accountant’s role in these phases cannot be ignored. Comment on the statement. [3 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 150 words]
Question 5 (7 marks)
Miss Anglea recently joined A2A Limited as an accounting clerk. As a part of financial reporting process, she receives the following source documents to prepare journal vouchers for general ledger entries.
- purchase orders,
- sales invoices, and
- vendor invoices
At the end of each day, Angela posts the journal vouchers to the general ledger and the related subsidiary ledgers. Each month the clerk reconciles the subsidiary accounts to their control accounts in the general ledger to ensure that they balance.
Required: Discuss any control weaknesses and risks associated with the accounting information system of A2A Limited. [7 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 400 words]
Question 6 (7 marks)
You have been working in the accounting department of AAA Limited since 2000. During this period, you have performed various roles, including:
- Evaluating the purpose and role of accounting information systems in achieving the overall objectives of the organisation,
- Articulating the various transaction cycles, financial reporting, management reporting systems and ecommerce systems to technical and non-technical stakeholders,
- Evaluating systems development methodologies and the role of accountants in system development projects,
- Appraising the risks inherent in computer-based systems/ERP, including the role of ethics and the various internal control processes that need to be in place, and
- Critically evaluating the range of cultural, security, privacy and ethical issues.
Recently, you joined another company for a senior role as a chief information officer. You are excited to perform this senior role. David is the chief executive officer (CEO) of your organisation, and he is excited to implement an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. Recently, your CEO has met with a consulting ERP firm based on a friend’s recommendation at his club. During a recent meeting, David invited the chief consultant who is charming, personable, and seemed very knowledgeable. The CEO’s first instinct was to sign a contract with the consultant, but he decided to hold off until he had received your input.
Required: David wants your opinion on this issue. In particular, he asked you to write a memo presenting the issues and the risks associated with consultants. Your discussion should be based on the relevant, interactive tutorial. Further, outline a set of procedures that could be used as a guide in selecting a consultant. [7 Marks. Word Limit: Up to 200 words]
END OF TUTORIAL ASSIGNMENT
- Save submission with your STUDENT ID NUMBER and UNIT CODE e.g. EMV54897 HI5019
- Submission must be in MICROSOFT WORD FORMAT ONLY
- Upload your submission to the appropriate link on Blackboard
- Only one submission is accepted. Please ensure your submission is the correct document.
- All submissions are automatically passed through SafeAssign to assess academic integrity.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS